How to Apply
How to Become Gift Designated
- Complete and submit a brief Registration Form.
- Once registered and enrolled, The Gift staff work with birthing facility staff to improve policies and practices around the Ten Steps.
- When all of the Ten Steps have been implemented and the criteria for designation have been met, birthing facilities submit an application for Gift designation.
- Facilities enrolled in The Gift program will be asked to participate in surveys at specified time periods to assist with quality assurance/quality improvement efforts.
How to Apply for Gift Designation
After the criteria for designation have been met:
- Complete The Gift application and the administration approval cover sheet. Submit both documents via email.
- Note: hospitals that are Baby-Friendly™ designated have an expedited application form.
- Applications are reviewed by a Bureau of Family Health appointed review committee on a quarterly basis (October, January, April and July) of each year.
- The deadline for submission will be the last working day of the month preceding review. For example, applications received on or before September 30th will be reviewed in October.
- Designation is awarded to facilities that demonstrate that they have met the criteria and submit supporting evidence and documentation.
How to Apply for Gift Re-Designation
- Gift Designated facilities must be re-apply for Gift designation every 2 years.
- Gift Designated facilities that have obtained the Baby-Friendly™ designation through Baby-Friendly USA will be re-designated every five years, in conjunction with the BFHI schedule.
Follow The Gift Re-Designation Application Instructions to apply for re-designation.
Forms and Application Documents
The Gift Designation Application Instructions
The Gift Designation Application Administration Approval Cover Sheet
The Gift Designation Application
The Gift Expedited Application (for Baby-Friendly™ designated facilities)
The Gift Re-Designation Application Instructions
Upon designation, facilities are provided the following:
- Facility listing on The Gift’s Designated Facilities page
- Press/Web release to announce designation complete with logo use for facility webpage and other marketing opportunities
- Certificate of designation and member posters to display throughout facility
- User ID to access the online Gift Enrolled facility portal which provides free downloadable breastfeeding training for staff and Gift promotional materials
The Gift e-Newsletter
Sign up for our bi-monthly e-newsletterSubscribe
Have a Question?
If you are a birthing facility interested in learning more about The Gift and improving the quality of your maternity care services, contact us.Contact Us